Wednesday, March 10, 2010

In which the term 'metric boatload' becomes standard English

Wednesday, 4 pm. Very early in orientation, we were introduced to the concept of ‘phases’ of study abroad. I’m not sure whether this is a CIEE concept, a Jarlath concept, or a recognized social scientific model, but basically, it’s divided into three parts. Phase 1 is the stage of fascination with your host country, and learning to negotiate such things as the public transportation system and the lack of toilet paper in university restrooms. Phase 2 is the stage of ‘why did I come here?’, usually triggered by a small incident and resulting in depression and general blaming of one’s host country for all the things one sees as wrong. Phase 3 is everything after Phase 2.

It’s the beginning of March, and we’re all either in Phase 2 or carefully walking along the edge. It’s just that time of the program, I guess. And because we’re all aware of this, we’re all developing our own Phase 2 buffers. I was sitting on my bed after yesterday’s classes, staring rather blankly at War and Peace and being homesick, when I realized I needed to get up and do something before I continued thinking too much. So what did I do? I made a metric boatload of lemon biscotti. (Regular boatloads don’t work outside the US.) :D I realize this is not exactly intuitive, but my host mom is perfectly fine with my using the stove, as long as I clean up after myself. So, after dinner, she showed me where the baking soda was and how to light a gas oven, then retired to grade chemistry exams as I set to work mixing things. There is still not a single measuring utensil in the apartment, so I eyeballed the measurements and threw in the zest from about half a lemon between two batches. One batch turned out lovely and small like the tea cookies I was hoping for; the other batch over-raised and burned on the bottom, but slicing off the burned parts produced biscotti that were just as tasty, only slightly bigger. I took a good three dozen to school today, and they were very positively received; I think Lyudmila Afanasyevna took another dozen with her for lunch. :D

Another thing that’s keeping me thoroughly excited to be here: Russian chorus. :D I got Irina Gennadyevna’s permission to take video of her singing today, so I’m going to write down the music when I can. (This would be easier if I could get a hold of some staff paper, but I’ll probably just use the back of my notebook.) We have four songs now, two tragic laments and two bouncy jig-like songs, two of which will hopefully be accompanied: the chrysanthemum-themed mourning song by Evan on guitar, and the blini song by yours truly on violin! The director’s enthusiasm is infectious, and we can’t leave the room without humming and laughing. Great fun. :D

Alas, it is now time to head home and heat up some soup before my English class. It’s STILL SNOWING here—the weather conditions when I got up would have been classified as ‘blizzard’ back home—so traffic will naturally be more snarled than usual…and I may have to leave an hour and a half to get across the city. I bring a book with me, though, so it’s really not a problem, and it’s easier than walking to and from the Metro stations. Stay warm, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment