Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hallo bin Deutschland

This brief experience is making me rethink the statement on my resume that I have a 'working knowledge of German.' It doesn't work in an airport; thank goodness for English translations. Interestingly, I have internet access in Munich (though not in Dulles), so, since I’m about an hour and a half too early to check in for my flight, I can post! Hooray!

Eight-hour flights are LONG (and, in this case, turbulent), but at least mine wasn’t particularly boring. For that, I can thank in-flight movies (Slumdog Millionaire and Cars), my mp3 player, a couple of books, my laptop, and a cute German international law student named Leon with whom to talk IR.

Munich is currently blanketed with snow and, according to Leon, unseasonably cold. Still about twenty degrees warmer than what I'm expecting in Petersburg (-11 and sunny, right now). The airport has big M's on the side of everything (which I'm assuming stands for Munich, but which is a little disorienting when you were raised in the DC Metro system). Right now, I'm sitting in the terminal (full of London-bound people, on the flight before mine) letting my laptop charge and trying to adjust my body clock. It's three a.m. according to both my brain and my computer, but it's bright and early morning in Germany. Friends advise me that jet lag takes a week to overcome; it'll be an interesting week.

Oh, and I still haven't mastered the Fahrenheit-Celsius conversion in my head. The St. Petersburg Times predicts highs of -4C on Friday...what's that in Celsius? :P

Next stop, the motherland! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment